Monday, February 11, 2008

Our Weekend in Tahoe

Aaron and I have been feeling like we just needed to get away and we thought "What better place than Tahoe?" My great aunt has a cabin there and she kindly let us use it for the weekend. We left Friday after work, stopped to rent Aaron a snowboard for his first snowboarding adventure, and drove 2 hours to Tahoe. When we got to the cabin it was absolutley covered in snow.


Look how deep the snow is! It is way taller than the car. The driveway is at an incline so it was difficult to park the car, and we noticed it slid back a few feet on its own sometime saturday night. That could have been really bad.

We had to forge our way up the driveway and walkway in the dark, only to discover that the key we had didn't work! It was too late to do anything but go to a motel. The Travel Inn was the cheapest one we could find. It's not too bad, right?


About to leave for the slopes


We went to Heavenly Ski Resort, which was just around the corner from the Travel Inn. Unfortunately it took us about 30 minutes to get up the road to the parking lot, and then we were directed to park along the street which had hardly any parking. We had to hike up the hill to the lodge and we were exhausted by the time we got there. We spent about 15 minutes getting Aaron oriented on the snowboard and then we went on the lift for Aaron's first time.

Can you believe the view from the chair lift? That is Lake Tahoe in the background.

This is the beginner hill where we spent our day.

This is Aaron trying to stay cheerful with the thumbs up after another nasty fall. He was definitely getting the hang of it by the end of the day.

Here we are enjoying the lunch break and our expensive food from the lodge. Can you tell that Aaron had a painful morning from the look on his face?


We love snowboarding and can't wait to go again!!!

We were able to get the key to the cabin from one of my mom's relatives so we went back to the cabin after snowboarding. We had a relaxing evening (after figuring out how to turn on the water and light the pilot light) and went to dinner at Carrow's and then we watched a movie. Sunday morning we slept in late, made cherry coke snow cones and built a snow man.





Then we watched another movie before we had to pack up and head back home. It was so fun and relaxing-we can't wait to go back!

12 comments:

anna and chris said...

looks like so much!!! we should all go up there for a weekend sometime.

Mel said...

That does look like fun. Your posterity will appreciate all the pictures you took. I don't think Chris and I have ever gone on a weekend getaway or trip by ourselves (always to visit family or some vacations with the Broadbents). We were poor college students for so long, but this summer we're determined to have one! Tahoe is pretty.

And Aaron, I feel your pain! Em's a good snowboard teacher, huh? The next day were you so sore? I felt like I had fallen from the sky dozens of times onto the hard-packed ice. Shudder.

S said...

AHHHHHHH! I'm dying of jealousy! To be able to go on a weekend trip with just you and your husband? I don't know what we'd do with all that time to do nothing (well, except the obvious, it had to be stated when I put a sentence like that in)! That looks like so much fun! AHHH! Oh, to be a kid again!
Sorry, how patronizing does that sound? I'm just so jealous! I'm obviously doing a "grass is greener" thing.

Mel said...

Seriously, the grass is so much greener over there. Em, tell us you want babies so that we feel better. :)

Mindy said...

Those pictures are cute, I'm glad you guys had fun, make your next weekend trip to UT!

Mindy said...

Mel, we just commented at the same time!!!!

Liz said...

It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. I looked for you at church on Sunday, but apparently you were enjoying Tahoe. By the way, I love the hair on your snowman. Too bad you couldn't bend the sticks a little to the side to make it look like he had a comb-over.

Emily and Aaron Carter said...

We love the comb-over idea! Next time...

Lauren said...

How fun!I have to agree with Susie. I wish I could spend time with just Adam for just a day. Mel's funny too.

Lauren said...

I forgot to say, we saw a commercial one time or a coke float. They made it look so good that Adam and I got the supplies and tried it. Don't try it, it's disgusting. We couldn't even eat it.

Tari said...

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Tari.
Anyways, it looks like you guys had a great time in Tahoe. I hope to see you guys soon. I have no idea when I will be back to Danville, it seems like an eternity since I've been there. I think I'm going to blog soon...I found a memory card I lost, so I pretty excited. Miss you guys. Love you!

Lyndsey said...

Aaron it gets better every time you go. So not to worry some time soon you will be off the bunny hill. Just make sure you do a bunny hill run first before you start of on the blues next time so you remember what you are doing....Lets just say that is from experience.