Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Elder Don

Just thought I'd give you all a glimpse of where my brother Don is currently serving. It's called the Madeira Island, off the coast of Portugal, and he is in the area Camara de Lobos.
It makes me want to go on a long vacation. Too bad it's not a vacation at all for Don. But really, what better place to serve the Lord than this?





It's gorgeous! Here is a little of what he has to say about it.
"I'm really enjoying my time here on the Madeira...there are so many cool little things that you get to see as a resident on a tropical island. One of my favorite things is that it seems as though I skipped out on winter and rain. The weather is seriously perfect. I wear a short sleeve shirt everyday and we're going down to the beach today with the district for beach volleyball! The island is something to see. We have a bus pass and we ride often so I've actually seen about have of the island. Riding on the bus is one of my favorite things to do because the buses just wind
fast up and down the cliff's edges...it's fun because they FLY!"
Can't you just picture the busses flying?! They really are cliffs like Don describes.
More on the work.
"The work here is completely different and I think it is because the people are nicer and will listen to our message. It's really different in my area too beacause it's a new area. The people in Camara de Lobos have never seen the Elders before...that's not normal in Portugal. This past week was great. We had a family come to church then after we taught them a lesson in which we invited them to be baptized. They accepted and we're pumped!!! It will be camara de lobos' first baptism."
What an amazing experience! We are so proud of Don and the great work that he is a part of. It's already been almost 15 months, it's amazing how time flies. We love him and miss him but couldn't be more grateful for the blessing he is to our family and to the Lord. He is doing great and seems to be loving every minute!
If anyone wants to email him to say hi, comment and I'll send you his email address. I know he'd love to hear from everyone.

6 comments:

Mel said...

Oh my goodness that place looks awesome! I really want to go to Portugal now because I think Marissa said Lisbon is the most romantic place out of all the many cities they went to in Europe. And now these pics of that island look amazing. Are you guys going to pick up Don?

Emily and Aaron Carter said...

We'd love to, but, you know how that goes :)

S said...

It reminds me of Greece in the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, the movie. I want to go to Portugal to but I will not bring my kids! I don't want psycho people from hell kidnapping my daughter (note Madeleine McCann, the poor little british girl). How fun (in a missionary way) for Don!

Mandy said...

Lucky Don! That looks like the most charming place in the world!

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

I'm jealous.

Liz said...

I can't believe how beautiful it is there! What an amazing place. I'm so happy for Don doing so well on his mission. He's so awesome!