Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Memory Keeper's Daughter


I just finished reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" and I just wanted to let you all know how much I loved it. It is the story of a doctor and his wife who is pregnant with twins. At birth a son is born perfectly normal and a daughter is born with down syndrome. The doctor, not wanting to burden his wife with the emotional pain of raising her, gives her to the nurse and tells her to take her to a care facility. The nurse, Caroline, cannot bring herself to leave her there and disappears with her to raise her as her own.
It follows both families lives and shows what that one split-second decision did to change so many lives drastically. I highly recommend it. Let me know if any of you decide to read it.
Also, what should my next book be?

7 comments:

Mel said...

I heard this book was good from someone in my ward. I just finished reading "Shogun" but I wouldn't recommend it to you...I liked it a lot but you'd think it was boring. I'll try this book next.

laurel said...

I liked this book too. I remember feeling sad and angry about some of the characters though - maybe just frustrated or annoyed at their actions. But that's what a good book does - makes me feel something!

Lyndsey said...

Perfect timing, I need a new book. I just finished reading A thousand Splendid Suns. It is about 2 different woman in war torn Afghanistan. Really sad but really makes you have so much empathy for these woman who have lived through about 20 years of wars. It is on the New York Times Bestsellers list.

Emily and Aaron Carter said...

I was gonna read A Thousand Splendid Suns next! I just have to get a library card because I can't afford to buy any more books.

Emily and Aaron Carter said...

Mel, what is Shogun about? Why do you think I'd think it was boring? Is it like The Road? Haha

Sheryl said...

I read this book in September, and also enjoyed it. It's really depressing (maybe just because I'm pregnant), but I enjoyed it all the same. I found it emotionally provoking and not many books do that for me. A book I've been wanting to read is "The Peaceful Warrior" by Dan Millman. A friend whose literary reccomendations I trust referred this book to me and I've been anxious to read it. I've recently been reading a book called "Three Cups of Tea." I've only recently started it but I like it so far...?

S said...

I'll definitely have to read it now. You guys should all put book recommendations on the side of your blog. You should all look at my list even though I haven't updated it recently and even though I sometimes like boring history book types. But you also don't have to. It's just so fun to share good book. Sheryl, I just got "3 cups of tea" for my birthday. We'll be twinner readers (bet you've never had a reading twin before, have you?).