Saturday, October 4, 2008

11 days

For the past two years my brother, Don, has been serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Portugal. He is coming home in just 11 days on the 15th of October and I can't describe how excited we are to see him. So much has happened in the last 2 years and it has been incredible to see Don change and grow. He has had some incredible experiences that I know he will never forget and have helped shape him into the man he is.
The following story is just one example of the type of experiences he has been having and what his focus has been for the past 2 years. Don has set such a great example for us as his family and friends. I was so touched by this story and am grateful for the reminder to remember my Savior, Jesus Christ, and to let Him shape me.

"I've been doing SO much walking looking for all sorts of random objects, but that's not the story. While I was out on madeira I left my pair of brown shoes on the continent and so now that I'm back I've really been trying to get good use out of them. Not to mention...my black pair aren't usable at the moment. So I haven't been doing to good at shining the brown ones, I'm out of polish and a brush and everything, but that's not the story. While I was walking a ton today in the city of porto- in the corner of my eye I saw one of those old guys with a little stool set up shinning shoes!!! I thought, "Now's my chance!" So I approached the man and asked how much it would be, two euros---I jumped on it! The man did the best job I've ever seen! I think he spent about twenty minutes straight being sure not to miss a spot. One coat he applied with a rag...the second coat, after a dry and polish, he applied with his old worn out fingers. I can't express how impressed I was. The expertise he had in a job he'd been doing more than 40 years...I asked. This man would brush one side of my shoe and then transition sides, and hands, with out missing a beat. "How could a man so good at his job ask so little a price?", I wondered. It was because of how humble he was, and then it hit me. I remembered another story I heard a while back. Another missionary getting his shoes shinned by a humble man when he remembered a humble man named Jesus Christ using His fingers to carefully bring something worn out and tired, back to life asking almost nothing in return. I had to fight back tears thinking about our Savior and the price He asks and the job He'll do if we'll let Him. When I stood up I shaked the mans hands and felt how worn out they were. I was SO grateful for the job he had done. I then began to think, "If I felt that good about my shoe shinning, how much better I'm I going to feel if I can reach the presence of my Heavenly father and Savior Jesus Christ who'll make my "shine" if I take the time to stop my "busy" life and pay the more than fair price...."

I'm grateful for the eternal perspective and reminders every week in emails from Don about what our focus should be in this life: Jesus Christ and sharing the message of His restored Gospel.

Here are just a few pictures of Don on the mission.





We love you Don and can't wait to see you!

5 comments:

Mel said...

That's a great story. You guys must be so excited. I'm sure Don has blessed so many lives while he's been on his mission, including you and the fam, and himself. What a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh I love Don too! When we were in Madeira and Porto last year I was so hoping we would just run into him. My husband used to see him all the time when he was teaching at the MTC. Don is the best!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see Don!

S said...

That's so exciting, Em! Wait, you read Shattered Dreams?! What did you think?! You're the only person I know who has read it. Tell me!

Mama Coons said...

Great Tribute to a great brother!