Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Amazing Race

On Saturday night we were invited to participate in The Amazing Race, put on by the Carruth's, some friends in our ward.

There were about 25-30 people that were divided into five teams. We were lucky enough to be put with Stacey and Drew, and Brad and Julianne.
Our first clue led us to the Nugget grocery store parking lot where we had to search the entire lot for a car with a specific license plate number. Once found, we were given our first task.
I got to dance on the corner of Pleasant Grove and Fairway Dr (a major intersection) dressed in a Mr. Pickles costume for 2 whole songs on a portable radio. If you don't believe me, watch this video. This can go on my list of most embarassing moments. It wasn't really that bad but I wouldn't have volunteered if I hadn't lost rock, paper, scissors.


Drew, Stacey, me aka Mr Pickles, Julianne, and Brad
After the first task, we had a mandatory 15 minute minimum eating break at U-Food grill.

Once we finished we got our next clue which led us to Big Spoon Yogurt. We had to get 20 oz of yogurt and 4 oz of toppings and together, eat it all as fast as we could before getting the next clue.
We then went back to where we started at the Carruth's house and had to successfully play through one song on Rock Band. Our team rocked it!

Our next clue led us to another home where we had to complete a 200 piece puzzle of a map of the world. We only took 12 minutes!
After finishing the puzzle, our final clue led us to the last task at another home. One member of the team had to jump in the deep end of the pool and locate the canadian penny among 19 other american pennies.
Brad took one for the team with no hesitation. He found the penny quickly and we were in and out within 5 minutes.

When we finished the last leg of the race we returned to the Carruth's house.

We got there first and we were so excited!!!! However, we soon found out that there was a bonus challenge. We were given a soundtrack at the beginning of the race and our last challenge was to write down as many songs as we could remember within 90 seconds. Unfortunately we could only think of 5. Each song was worth a one minute time bonus, taken off our total time. The next team got there about 15 minutes later but they were able to write down 16 songs. They came in ahead of us by 2 minutes with the time bonus.
We still took pride in the fact that we finished first and look forward to the next Amazing Race.

15 comments:

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

We had such a good time with you! Too bad about that darn time bonus. Be sure to come to the next season of the Amazing Race. (Seriously, we're thinking of doing one in a few months. We have already started planning.)

Mel said...

That looks like so much fun! I cannot believe that's you in that costume, Em. I love your dancing, seriously. That is such a great idea. Looks like you guys are having fun in your ward.

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous; that sounded amazing!

Lauren said...

What a cool idea. I'm so glad you were dancing in the pickle. It wouldn't have been as funny if it was someone I didn't know. I really wish I could have seen you in person, though. I actually think it would be fun to be anonymous and dancing like that.

Lyndsey said...

oh my gosh I was laughing soooo hard about you dancing in the pickle costume. Hilarious!!!! I think I would have peed my pants if I had been there. Your Mom saw it and said that it was a good think that she put you in all those dancing classes!!

Mindy said...

I love your dancing!! that sounds like so much fun, I want my ward to do that.

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Wow whoever came up with that is amazingly creative. Looks like fun. Great costume Em.

anna and chris said...

Emily that soo funny! I couldnt help but laugh. Sounds like fun.

Unknown said...

That sounds like so much fun! I wish I was there!

Mandy said...

That is the most hilarious video I have ever seen, just imagining you in there dancing as a giant pickle! That is such a clever idea to do an at home version of Amazing Race, how fun!

S said...

That looks so fun, I wish my ward would do something really fun like that!

S said...

Sorry, Min, I didn't realize you said it first.

Sheryl said...

That's a way cool blog post Em-the coolest part is your danicing pickle debut. Fabulous! I want to think up a smaller version of that for a group of friends or something. You know how "they" have those mnurder mystery parties? I think an amazing race party would be fun. Well , fun for everyone else, cause I wouldn't get to really play huh?! Nevermind.

Ringo and Company said...

How fun!!!! The amazing race is one of my favorite shows. Forget your Survivor dreams and go for the Amazing Race!

Jim and Shana McGavock said...

That is Great! I wish I could have come to see that in person!